LatestMiddle East and North AfricaNewsTop Stories

CEASEFIRE STRAINED: Israeli Strikes Kill Rescuers, Child in South Lebanon

Beirut-An Israeli strike on southern Lebanon killed six people on Friday, including two rescuers and a child, Lebanon’s health ministry said, marking the latest deadly incident amid a fragile ceasefire between Israel and the armed group Hezbollah.


The ministry said six people were killed in a strike on the village of Deir Qanun Al-Nahr, including two members of the Risala Scouts association, one of whom also worked as a freelance photographer. A Syrian girl was also among the dead, according to the ministry.


The Risala Scouts association is affiliated with the Amal movement, a Lebanese political and military organization allied with Hezbollah.


In a separate incident earlier on Friday, the health ministry said an Israeli strike on the southern town of Hanaway killed four rescuers from the Islamic Health Committee, an organization linked to Hezbollah.
The reported fatalities underscore continuing security tensions in southern Lebanon despite a ceasefire that has largely reduced large-scale hostilities following the Israel-Hezbollah conflict.


Lebanese authorities have repeatedly reported casualties from Israeli strikes in border regions, while Israel has said it targets individuals and infrastructure it considers security threats.


The health ministry said more than 120 paramedics have been killed in Israeli attacks since March.